5 Day (40 Hour) Certification: 2 Years
Rope Rescue Level III is an advanced five-day rope rescue course for the dedicated rescuer.
OBJECTIVE: This program is to improve a rescue team members capability to help conduct a sophisticated team rescue. This program challenges the participants through intensive hands-on experience, real time scenarios, decision making and problem solving.
- Structure and hazard assessment
- Basic physics of rigging systems
- Essential knot tying techniques
- Advantages and limitations of certain rope and rescue equipment
- Proper use and maintenance of equipment
- Rappelling on various descending devices
- Pick-off of a casualty hanging on a lanyard
- Mechanical advantages & rigging of haul systems
- Patient packaging
- Raising & lowering of patient in litter basket with an attendant
- Knot passing techniques
- Utilizing changes of direction
- Varied belay techniques
- Additional safety concerns
(Analyzing force vectors, edge attendants,
communication, back-up systems)
- Special application rescue equipment
- Incident command system
- Risk Management
- Multi-agency involvement
- Triage situations
- Physics and dynamics of systems
- Simple, Compound & Complex haul systems
- Varied climbing systems
- Steep Slope evacuation (according to needs)
- A-frames (according to needs)
- Picket anchoring systems (according to needs)
Full participation, extensive hands-on demonstrations and a written examination are required to successfully complete the program and receive certification which is valid for 2 years.
With any High Angle Rescue Program, it is strongly recommended to set up a maintenance program for continual training.