AAE Safety – OSSA Fall Protection
(OIL SANDS SAFETY ASSOCIATION)
Fall Protection – is a one-day Oil Sands Safety Association (OSSA) approved program that is designed to give active users a thorough understanding of fall protection including fall arrest and work positioning systems that are available in industries today.
This course will ensure that students are well versed in dealing with fall hazards and provide hands-on experience/applications with different types of fall protection equipment.
What will I learn in this safety training course?
In this course, the following topics are covered:
- fall statistics, definitions and the parts of a fall protection system
- permanent, temporary and engineered anchors
- energy absorbers /shock absorbers, lanyards, self retracting life lines, vertical life lines and rope grabs, as well, horizontal life lines
- different harness types, uses, donning, and inspection
- free fall, total fall distance and required clearance
- control zones, safety nets, and fall protection on ladders
- equipment care, maintenance, and inspection
- fall protection planning, fall rescue planning and equipment requirements
This program is the standard for training not only in Alberta, but has been adopted across Canada. The Oil Sands Safety Association has done a great job of creating a level of excellence that is recognized nationally.
Along with the hands-on techniques, the instructor demonstrates three (3) actual drop tests with a CSA 220 lb. test weight. One of the drop tests demonstrated is to deploy a shock absorber for class discussion.
Full participation, hands-on demonstrations and a written examination are required to successfully complete the program and receive certification which is valid for 3 years.
Start Time: 8:00am sharp